Monday, August 18, 2008

If That Is The Case, You Have To Contact The Credit Bureaus

Category: Finance, Credit.

Your credit needs some restoration and you opted to do it yourself. There are three ways to contact the bureaus that we will discuss, they are: Phone.



If that is the case, you have to contact the credit bureaus. Snail Mail. Phone- you can call the credit bureaus directly for such reasons as: denial of credit or entitled to a free credit report, placing a fraud alert, placing a security freeze or simply disputing an item. Online. If you plan on disputing an incorrect item by phone make sure you have your most recent credit report. For any of the other reasons, you can simply go to the credit bureaus website( of the one in which you wish to contact) and get the necessary number.


On the report you will find a telephone number to initiate the dispute. Snail Mail- snail mail is an effective approach of contact and even though it is slow it does have its advantages. Should you choose to dispute an item by mail you will need to track the letter. Credit bureaus are bombarded daily( by the millions) with letters from consumers alike. For this I suggest you send it certified mail, return receipt requested. However should you choose to dispute an item on line, I would also opt to do it by mail. Online- you can contact the credit bureaus on line for numerous reasons, such as the ones listed above.


Combining the two together has resulted in some very favorable results for my clients and if by chance the credit bureau can t answer one of the disputes within the 30- day time frame it has to be removed. Now I am going to briefly show you how to effectively launch a credit cleaning campaign utilizing all three methods of contact. A little hint( When restoring clients credit I opt to do what I call the" Trilateral Attack" , it is the utilization of the three combined and it yields some amazing results. ) OK, now you know the different ways in which you can contact the credit bureaus. I use it all the time with my clients and have great success. I would mark all information that I felt was incorrect, such as: names, AKA s, previous addresses, negative accounts and public records from the three. First I would get my most recent credit report from all three bureaus, then I would sit down and go over each of them.


I would gather the bureaus contact info and call each of the bureaus individually to open a dispute and ask them to correct the information in question. In it, I would vent my frustration a little and let them now how upset I am about the fact that they are reporting false information on my credit report. Next, over the course of a few days( maybe a week) I would sit down and formulate a well thought out and well written letter. I would be very specific in what it is that they are reporting incorrectly and what I would like them to do with it. Make sure you send them certified, as you might have to show proof later that you sent them. Such as: "The following account is incorrect as it is not mine. " "Please investigate the account to its entirety within the 30- days provided by law or remove it. " I would gather the letters, notarize them( a little trick that works for me, but not necessary) address them and send them out to each of the credit bureaus by certified mail. Finally, while the letters were in transit I would hop on the computer and start an online dispute with the three credit bureaus.


I would continue the process until I seen the results that I was looking for, but be careful not to do it too much. Even though this might seem like a lot of work, the results you, and it is will see are well worth it. If you do it about 5 to 10 days after each response from the credit bureaus you should be fine. Good Luck!

No comments: